Friday, December 11, 2009

Striving for Holiness


It is so easy to become complacent in our faith. We get to a comfortable spot where we feel like we know what we need to know and are good with God. But the truth is that it is never enough to just be "good with God". We should be constantly striving toward holiness.

Genesis 20:26 You are to be holy to me because I, the LORD, am holy, and I have
set you apart from the nations to be my own.


How holy should we be? We should be so holy that the secular world hates us. Afterall, the darkness does not like the light:

John 15:19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it
is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
That is why the world hates you.


But I find myself afraid to be hated by the world. I don't want to say things that will offend people. So I water down my faith and I become luke warm. This is wrong and it is not the path that leads to holiness.

Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to
righteousness.

1 Tim 6:11 But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness,
godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.


God makes it clear that we should be so dedicated that we become SLAVES to righteousness, constantly persuing it and fleeing from all else.

Have you been pursuing holiness or have you let your relationship with God become stale? I encourage you to take some time this week and reflect on where your faith stands.

No comments:

Post a Comment