Thursday, February 3, 2011

Depression

I think everyone experiences some form of depression at one point in their life. You feel like you are sinking. You carry the weight of the world on your shoulders and you are teetering on the edge of emotional stability. It is scary being in that place, that very dark place where you just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. It is during these times that you need to hold onto the promises of the Lord.

1. God can carry our burdens. We just have to let him.
Matthew 11:28-30
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

2. It is actually a blessing when we experience sadness because it allows God to reveal Himself as our Comforter.
Matthew 5:1-48
Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him. And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying: “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. ...

3. God is ALWAYS present. Even when we feel alone in that darkness the bible says He is VERY PRESENT and that He will not abandon us like orphans.
Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
John 14:18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.


4. Not only is He with us when we are in despair, He goes before us, leading the way through the darkness.
Deuteronomy 31:8 It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment